Following the sacking of suspended controversial SABC COO, Hlaudi Motsoeneng the Minister of Communications, Ayanda Dlodlo has revealed he was paid over R1.7 million.
Motsoeneng received this amount while on suspension in the past six months.
This was revealed in Minister Ayanda Dlodlo’s reply to a DA question in the National Assembly.
Motsoeneng was dismissed by the SABC last week after he was found guilty in an internal disciplinary hearing.
He was found guilty of bringing the SABC into disrepute and causing irreparable damage to his employer.
On March 13, the SABC interim board chairperson, Khanyisile Kweyama said the financial situation at the SABC is still in a bad state.
Kweyama said they were tightening the belt, as the broadcaster was in a bad state somewhat due to the loss of advertising surrounding the 90% South African content implemented by Motsoeneng.
Hlaudi Motsoeneng was paid R1.7m while on suspension from 1 January 2017. pic.twitter.com/cv5uZnaFyC
— Phumzile Van Damme (@zilevandamme) June 19, 2017