The rapper, who suffers from epilepsy, was found unconscious in his hotel room at the Westin in Chicago on Sunday night.
He was taken to the city’s Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he reportedly suffered a further seizure.
A representative for the Grammy-winning artist confirmed the news to US site TMZ, and said he is currently resting.
Lil Wayne, real name Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., had been set to perform at Drais Beachclub in Las Vegas alongside Rae Sremmurd on Sunday night, but was advised to cancel by doctors.
The incident comes a year after he was treated for a minor seizure on board a flight from Milwaukee to California, and four years after he was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital after suffering from a seizure while shooting Nicki Minaj’s High School music video.
He later opened up about living with the condition and said it is triggered by “plain stress, no rest, overworking myself”.
Speaking to Los Angeles radio station Power 106, he said: “The bad news is I’m an epileptic, I’m prone to seizures, going on to explain the bout of fits wasn’t his first.
“Like, this isn’t my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure. I’ve had a bunch of seizures, y’all just never hear about them. But this time it got real bad ’cause I had three of them in a row and on the third one, my heart rate went down to like 30 per cent.
“Basically, I could’ve died, so that is why it was so serious. But the reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself.”